“Will I lose my hair?”
That’s one of the first questions cancer patients have — and a good one to discuss with your doctor since everyone reacts differently to treatment. What is predictable is the free help available from the American Cancer Society…starting with a free, custom-fitted wig.
How does the wig program work?
- Make an appointment for a private fitting before your cancer treatment begins or as early on as possible.
- We’ll help you try on multiple styles and even experiment with colors.
- Bring a friend or family member with you for a “second opinion.”
- All wigs are brand new, and we also have an assortment of hats, turbans and scarves.
Other non-medical services offer you a healthy dose of healing
- Attend a class to learn techniques to overcome appearance-related side effects of cancer treatment, such as skin and hair changes.
- Free cosmetic kits and the camaraderie of learning alongside other cancer survivors is like a makeover for the spirit, too.
- We can also offer a link to someone who has survived your type of cancer and can offer helpful suggestions and answer your questions.